Sunday, August 18, 2013

IT'S SO FLUFFY!!!

We went to a Highland Games in Kerrville TX yesterday. It was held to coincide with the River Parade. It's also the first time that Kerrville has had a Highland games. The venue was in a nice park right along the river (duh, Rock. River Parade) and though the day was hot, there was a decent breeze and most importantly there were several of my friends.
 It's tough to go to the games, for me, and not be able to throw. But I do like the athletes. So when the Masters and Women divisions are put together to throw at the same time, I went down to shoot the breeze and talk myself into trying the event. Talking myself into trying wasn't so hard. I've got a pain patch on, right? How bad could it be?, I said. Give it a shot!, I said. So I did. Borrowed a hay fork and thought I'd try at 18'. Generally that's a cake walk for me, so sure, why not. I grab Brittney Boswell's fork because it's like mine, and she's let me use it before. I get all set. Feels pretty decent. Do my wind up and let it loose. Oh yeah! High enough, but not over the bar....then OWWWWW. Oh Geez Louise did that hurt. Not just the "wow, I've not done that in a long, long time" kind of hurt. But the kind of hurt that says "No, really, that hurt bad, it's okay to either pee pee a little or cry" kind of hurt. I put B's fork on the ground properly, calmly walk by and say "Ow" and then lament how I've got to sit down for a minute. Suuuuure, because honestly it's sit down or roll up into a ball for the afternoon. Meandering back to the car I slip out the liquid pain medicine that's for back up to the patch. I fix myself a dose and shove that right into the tube. It helps a little. So now I figure most of my time is going to be spent relaxing in a chair and being stoned. I was right, too. One of the guys had some stuff called "Pain a Trater" from Melaluca. Wicked shit that. It's like ICY HOT on steroids, with a touch of aspirin. That really killed the pain off as long as I didn't over do it. Thanks Aaron and Tamyna Woods.
 I talked a little with a lot of the guys there. It's tough since I can't speak well and have to use the board. There were a lot of "I didn't get a damn bit of that" or "what?" going on. That's cool, I understand that. I can hear myself too, and once in a while even I think WTF? There were a lot of kids out there too, which is typical for a Highland Games. Families get together and come to the games. One of the guys grandparents came to see him throw. That's pretty cool if you ask me. Anyway, back to the kids. They had all kinds of questions, which I don't mind. It beats having people look and get that "oh you poor man" expression. Kids are pretty blunt. If you're scary, they won't come around. If they are curious and one brave comes up to talk and ask questions. They all gather around to hear and ask too. So I don't mind. They watched me put water in my feeding tube. "Does that hurt?",  "Where does it go?", and "Can you taste it?" were the most common questions. I had to write down the answers and either a grown up or one of the kids that could read would tell the others what I wrote down. One of the little girls is whispering to her mother. She came over, put her little head down and asked me if she could use my board to draw me a picture. Of course I told no. Wrong, I let her draw me a nice picture, then I took her picture and showed her it was on my phone. I didn't see my board much the rest of the afternoon. I have now found a way to keep kids busy at the games. Dry erase board and neon colored markers. One of the kids was older, probably 12 or so. She asked the really difficult questions. Not difficult for me to talk about, but difficult to hit that middle ground between answering a 4-8 year olds questions, and answering an older kids. I hope I got that figured out to her satisfaction. 
 Liz may have been bored to death, but I love her for coming with me. I'd have had hell driving myself home, and it wouldn't have been safe on the amount of pain killer I ingested. She's looking out for me and I love her to death for doing that. It was hot, and a bit uncomfortable, and she is a trooper and my rock. We laughed a lot over my goofy stoned ass milling around the grounds. Geez, there for a while I couldn't hit my ass with both hands if I'd had a map, compass, and someone aiming them for me.. The river looked some cool and inviting I was thinking about just jumping in. Until I remembered I've got this huge hole in my neck. Can you say "Titanic"? I knew you could. We both laughed about that. 

And that's where we get IT'S SO FLUFFY!!!! Because after the sheaf toss shot of pain, that's how I felt on the pain killer. Fluffy. 
At the end of the day, we saw some pretty country. Visited with good friends. And I found a limit as to what I can do........for now.
 Some of the country was like seeing it with a different set of eyes as well. How fast it changes from the Llano Estacado of the Permian Basin, to heading south toward I-10 where the country is more hilly, and into the Guadalupe River basin. So much change in only 260 miles. And it changes fast. In Kansas it was close to 300 miles to Liz's folks in SE Kansas, the change from western plains to south central plains to rolling Flint Hills to more sharply hilled and forested lands is a lot more gradual. Both are very pretty, and I'm glad I get to see the country I live in now. I always knew each area had it's own type of pretty, but I see it a little different now. That's a cool thing

 Keep it fluffy, all y'all

No comments:

Post a Comment