Monday, September 30, 2013

Back from Kansas

 Last Thursday afternoon we headed toward Kansas for my last trip up that direction. I find I don't travel well any more. I get tired quickly and begin to hurt even faster. But, that's all okay because I was headed up to see my sister and as many people as I could before I get to the point I can't travel at all. Kate and I had a good visit, and laughed a lot. My little brother was out of town on a job interview I hope he gets. Jack Sherer, sorry I couldn't catch up with you. I was completely beaten both times we went through. There are a lot of people I would have liked to have gotten in touch with.
 Spent some real quality time with Andrea and Jim Scarpelli. Old friends from way back when. The problem is, I never have enough time, and damn sure don't now. It's tough.

   The entire trip was so I could attend the McPherson Scottish Festival and Highland Games. It's one of my favorite, and it was my next to last game I competed in last year, and my next to last I'll attend this year. I wanted to go up there too, so I could catch up with a few of my friends in Kansas. The sad thing is, I saw them, but I couldn't spend time like I wanted to with each of them. I'd sit for a minute, then my eyes would start to leak, and I'd have to get up and move around. I'm a big sissy. Even with the social networks, text messages, and every other form of communication, it's the last time I'll be able to touch a hand, give a hug, or slap knees laughing with those folks. On one hand I was so excited when they started to walk up, and on the other it was like a little bit of crushing my heart. It might even have been different if I could speak well enough to truly say what I felt. It's not the same to me writing down what I want to say, it seemed awfully cold to me to have to write and leave it on paper. I can't add the feelings in that I can if I can talk with each person. I spoke with my in laws, and I hope that bridge got fixed a bit. I'd hate to go out thinking I was such a stubborn ass I couldn't bring myself to reconcile just a bit with my father in law. It was also a time to reconnect with my other family. The athletes of the Highland Games.

 I spent a lot of time up and down and running from one end of the field to another for handshakes, hugs and claps on the back.  I know a lot of the folks, but this year the field was huge and a lot of new faces I didn't recognize. That's great, too. They need some new faces on the field. It's a great sport filled to the brim with great people. I got to explain, in writing of course, how the events work and how difficult they are to some of the folks that came to visit. And again, I'm sorry I couldn't spend more time with you, it just was too much at times for the old man to handle. So, I'm watching, and Liz is visiting with friends and all seems well with the world. I wrote a short thank you note to the field of athletes and the crowd. Mac has been a part of me for the last 10 years, and this is the first and last year I won't be able to compete.  The note went something like this:
 "This is my last trip to Kansas, I've been diagnosed as terminal. This festival and games are one of my favorite, not just because I get the chance to get back to my old stomping grounds and see some of my home state, but also because of the people here. It's always been a great place to come throw. The athletes are great, the AD's are wonderful and the weather has always cooperated.
 So, I'd like to thank Dave and Gunnar Glasgow, and Larry and Terri Ventress for putting on a great games. I'd like to thank the Athletes who make this a fun place to come compete. You've always been helpful and are super and what we do, thanks. And to the audience, with out the cheering and applause the games wouldn't be near as fun. Thank all of you"
 That's not it exactly, but it's close. Francis Brebner, a World Champion athlete and the announcer couldn't make it through the entire thing, Dave Glasgow finished for him. I cheated, I said I needed something out of the car and I walked. I don't think I could have handled it myself. I believe there were a lot of leaking eyes, from what I hear anyway.

 As the day went on I got to see and speak with a lot of folks, which was the crux of the trip to begin with. I don't think everyone will ever know how much that meant to me. They travelled some to be there and spend a few minutes of time with me. That's humbling and an honor, and I was thrilled. Even if I tried not to show it. You know, Joe Cool and all. After the games on Saturday I got to spend time with my brother in law Carl and his wife Janice and family. They are nice folks. Nephew Josh is pretty cool and his girlfriend is just a peach. She's a real sweet heart. One of the athletes rented us a room out of his ass pocket, something I wasn't expecting, but was very thankful I got the room. Andy Stout, you're a peach, brother.  We sat and took up space in Freddy's Frozen Yogurt and Steakburger place for a couple of hours. Once again, not enough time. I was flat exhausted. Still, it took a while to fall asleep. Weird how that works isn't it? So hard to stay awake, lie down and wide awake. Weird.

 Sunday rolls around and Liz and I eat a bit and go to the field again, just so I could see some of the Master's division athletes, and say goodbye to anyone I missed the day before. Liz went shopping and I watched the guys throw, all the while wishing I could be out there as well, laughing and throwing heavy shit through the air. (Sigh) it was not to be on that day. I have to back up a bit. I did pitch the sheaf twice on Saturday, much to the anger of my back, shoulders and neck. Oh man, that felt great.

   Let us then summarize. I saw Terri Ventress break two of her own World Record marks. And she can probably break weight over bar by the end of the throwing season. She's not only and wonderful athlete, but along with her husband, great friends. As I was leaving Sunday, Dave Glasgow got the mike from Francis. "I need to stop the games for just a minute. Rocky Smith is leaving. He's been coming here for 10 years and this will be his last time to leave the field. Let's cheer him out."
Thanks Dave, you made my eyes leak. But then again, so did Larry Ventress and a couple of other people on my way out.  Great folks. I've been telling people that about the Highland Games for 10 years. It's not just the competition, it's the people associated with the Games that make them special.

 I'm going to miss each and every one of you. It was an emotionally trying time for me, but I'd do it again tomorrow if they asked me.

 Have fun today, be out there doing what you love to do. If you don't love it, find something you will. Life's too damn short to spend it wishing you'd down something else with you life. No excuses, hut get it going your direction

No comments:

Post a Comment